Friday, February 5, 2016

Celebrating Art Again



Today I'm celebrating my after school Art Club again. But first, kudos to Lexa Cain @ Lexa Cain , L.G. Keltner @ Writing Off The Edge , and Tonja Drecker @ Kidbits Blog, who co-host this "Celebrate the Small Things blog hop. You can go to any of these sites to get all the links and add your name to the links. 

About the Art Club: This year I have students from age 6 to age 14, and we meet each Thursday for an hour an a half. The first fifteen to twenty minutes are the lesson, which includes a little information about the artists we study, painting and drawing styles and terms, and use of the materials we are handling. 

Every Thursday I leave the house and drive to the community center, somewhat torn about the long afternoon  (thirty-minutes set-up, an hour clean-up, an hour and a half lesson and application.) Every evening I drive back home, thoroughly renewed, restored, and so happy I teach this class. The kids are so responsive and give art their best. Their energy revitalizes me (a great change from being hunched over my computer). And these are some of the sweetest kids you will ever meet. 

Yesterday's lesson, in honor of Black History Month and Dr. King was focused on the art of William H. Johnson, a twentieth-century African-American artist who studied in Paris and was influenced by modernism. Also a few other artists African-American artists of his era. Here are a few more samples of what they did yesterday:















These were done with oil pastels and colored pencils on pastel paper. Next week we will be using bamboo brushes and watercolors to celebrate Asian New Year.

And next month, we will have an art exhibit at University Art. The students keep portfolios and select what they consider their best work to show. If you are in the Sacramento Area, I hope you will come by. (I'll post more information later on Facebook.)

I hope you have enjoyed your visit, and I'll be visiting your blogs to join in your celebrations. Have a great day. And have a great week-end!


14 comments:

J said...

What a wonderful program! I love the artwork you shared~ and how cool that the kids get to have an exhibit! ~Jessica Lawson

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Yes, Jessica, I'm so grateful to University Art for giving us this show. It will be on Second Saturday in March (at noon, instead of the usual Second Saturday evening art walk.) This class really makes my week!

Deanie Humphrys-Dunne said...

So glad you're having fun with the Art students. My sister is an artist, but I can't draw anything at all. The pictures you posted are so cute.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Deanie, Thanks for stopping by. A lot of people who think they can't draw anything really can. You might surprise yourself if you took a class. Have a great day.

Unknown said...

Wow, you have some real talent in your class. I love the pic with the kids jumping rope! The before/after activity thing often hits me too. I sigh and think I reeeeally don't want to go out, and wouldn't it just be better to stay home and watch TV? But when I force myself to get moving, and join others in a great activity -- it's like re-energizing my batteries. I always come home with a big smile on my face. Have a wonderful weekend! :)

SENCO Cat Herder said...

How wonderful and the photos of their art really captures all the joy you talk about. Wishing you every success for the show and looking forward to seeing some photos and hearing all about it :) Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Lexa, so many people like the kids jumping rope! The student who did this is six years old! She chose three of the figures shown in a larger painting and managed to capture the movement and perspective. She always amazes me with her ability to capture the essence of a picture.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hello "Cat herder". Thanks for stopping by. Yes, the joy. What of the pleasures of teaching this class is that they all love art to begin with. It's already been encouraged at home, and so they come in prepared to indulge in one of their favorite interests. When I taught full time, kids these age would have gotten restless in a class that took an hour and a half of their time. Not these kids. They become deeply immersed in their picture. It's wonderful to be part of this.

Rosi said...

You are a lucky lady to have this class to teach and such wonderful kids to work with. The art work they create is always a treat to see. Thanks for the post.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Thanks, Rosi. I DO feel so lucky. They are a blessing in my life.

Sandra Cox said...

This sounds absolutely wonderful. I'm glad you enjoy it so much and what a blessing you are for the children.
Hugs

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Sandra, They are certainly a blessing for me. We have about about six more weeks of classes, and then it's over for another year.

Tonja Drecker said...

I love seeing the kids' artwork. How wonderful it must be to work with them!

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, T. Another thing I enjoy about it is that they have started admiring each other's work. That's always a nice boost for the artist: peer approval.