Friday, April 21, 2017

The Beauty of Monet's Paintings




Two weeks ago we went with friends, Sue & Bert Collins, to see the Monet Exhibit and the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco, a remarkably beautiful building dating back to the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exhibition. You can learn more about it and see both a photograph of the building and a painting of it by Edwin Deakin HERE . But I couldn't resist taking this photo looking back at the Golden Gate Bridge from the grounds. It prepares you for the beauty of the landscapes to come.


The exhibit focused on Monet's early works, starting from his first exhibited painting, when he was 18, and ending with his paintings in 1862, when he was only 32 years old. I have loved prints of Monet, exhibits of the Impressionists that featured his work, including his later works of the waterlilies and moon bridge in his garden, calendar pictures that I've shared with my after school art class. But it took my breath away to see how accomplished Monet was at the young age of 32 — how many masterpieces he had created. Have a look at a few of the photos I was permitted to take in the museum.





                     There are more,  but I'll stop here. For those who like the work of Monet and are interested in his life,  Stephanie Cowell wrote a wonderful historical novel about his life, Claude & Camille. (Camille was the love of his life, the mother of his children, and his muse for so many of his paintings.) 

Add caption


You can order this through Amazon (as well as many other sites.) 

Stephanie also has a nice page about this book on her enjoyable blog:   

Do you enjoy art? The impressionists? Novels about famous artists? Share a favorite book about art or artists.

And have a great day. 

17 comments:

Victoria Lindstrom said...

A scrumptious post, Elizabeth! I love the works of Claude Monet. Have a wonderful weekend. ~ Victoria

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Vicky, glad you liked it. Hope you have a good week-end, too.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

To be so accomplished at such a young age. That's what I find amazing. He had his first successful exhibition at age 18. And then followed years of struggle and poverty, and he never gave up. What a lesson for us all . . .

Kate Larkindale said...

They are such beautiful paintings. Always been a fan of Monet.

Tonja Drecker said...

I've always been a Monet fan. How lovely to get a chance to see those.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I think I have been always, too, Kate. My love of Impressionists goes way back, and even in college, I had a postcard of one of his paintings framed (cheaply) as my sole work of art. :-)

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Me, too, T. He just was a remarkable artist.

cleemckenzie said...

I haven't made it to the exhibit, but you've nudged me with your post. I need a trip to SF, so I'm going. Thanks, Elizabeth.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Lee, I'm so glad this motivates you to go. The exhibit ends May 29th. It was truly wonderful! Have a good week.

Rosi said...

I have seen many Monet's in various museums and they are breathtaking. I didn't know about this exhibit. I have been to SF in a long time. Tempting. Thanks for the post.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Yes, Monet's work is brilliant. I have calendars of his art that I share with my students. I hope you find time for the exhibit. It's well worth the trip.

Gail M Baugniet - Author said...

The works of the Impressionists has always given me viewing pleasure. My introduction was in Paris in the 70s, when I was quite impressionable! I do also like certain Belgian artists, Rene Magritte high on the list for his daring.

Sandra Cox said...

I love the snow scenes:)
Hope you're having a pleasant, productive week, Elizabeth.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Sandra. Yes, aren't they magnificent! How he gets the texture and the many nuances of white is remarkable. Hope you have a great week, too.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Gail. I love the Impressionists! I like other periods as well, including the Dutch and Flemish painters with their light falling through open windows. But I can see what you mean about Magritte. I like some of his work. It always has startling twist.

Sharon Himsl said...

Hi, this was lovely. I enjoyed the walk through Monet's paintings and like his style. The novel sounds up my alley. Have made a note to read. Have a nice weekend!

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Sharon,
Glad you like Monet's paintings. I find something very restful about them. I hope you have a great weekend, too.