Sunday, May 21, 2017

Celebrating a Good Book on Writing


But first: Celebrate the Small Things  is a blog hop co-hosted by Lexa Cain at: Lexa Cain,  L.G. Keltner @ Writing Off The Edge , and Tonja Drecker @ Tidbits Blog(You can go to any of these sites to add your name to the links, if you want to participate. )

So: the good book I'm celebrating is one that Fred and Joan, our neighbors across the street in Sacramento, gave us before we left on our trip. I've been dipping into it from time to time, as we've been very busy since arrival — first with our water problem I mention in the last post, and then socializing with friends and neighbors we hadn't seen for a while.  Sometimes when we're driving to town I read from it, and sometimes in the evenings I take a shot at it, although I fall asleep far too easily after all the galavanting. Luckily, it's the kind of a book you can read pleasurably in bits and pieces:

How To Write Like Tolstoy, A Journey into the Minds of Our Greatest Writers


Cohen is an author, but also an agent and editor who has handled works by several pulitzer prize winners and authors who have been on the NY Times best sellers lists. His approach to the art of novel writing (the main focus in this book) is fascinating. Each chapter heading deals with an aspect of novel writing, and in sequence, so that the first chapter is about first chapters and book beginnings; then settings and characters, etc. In each chapter, he shares what great writers of classics as well as modern day successful writers have said about each chapter theme and how they approach the problem. This book is a keeper, and meant to be re-read many times. Such a wonderful gift. (Thank you, Fred & Joan!)

Cohen's website is HERE, if you want to know more about him or his books. Also purchase sites for this one, including, but not limited to Amazon HERE.

How about you? Have you discovered any good books on writing? If so, please share titles. 

24 comments:

Rosi said...

It sounds like a terrific gift for you, and it's always good to know about another good writing book, although I need to get through the ones I already own! Thanks for the post.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I know what you mean, Rosi. I have other writing books I need to get through when I get back. I did pack a second one that I'll mention later on, but I go sidetracked by this one when we arrived and unpacked. I haven't done any writing, though, although I'm planning to on this trip.

Chrys Fey said...

That's a book I am definitely interested in checking out. I might even add it to the IWSG Book Club's bookshelf. :) Thanks for sharing!

cleemckenzie said...

I have't heard of Cohen's book. I'll have to take a look. Thanks.

Kate Larkindale said...

It's always good to know there are great writing books out there.

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks for the heads up on this Elizabeth. I'm always on the lookout for good books on writing.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Chrys, he uses a rather scholarly approach, but I'm really enjoying it. I'm enjoying other famous authors' insights on their processes, and he does a good job of dissecting point of view issues, among other things.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I hadn't heard of it either, Lee. We had our neighbors (two sets, a father/son and both their wives) to a long lunch before we left for our trip and the son talked about this book. Then, to my great surprise, his mother left it on my doorstep as a "happy travels" present. It certainly is an interesting and helpful read. And, as importantly, it's revived my energy about writing again.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I agree, Kate. Every now and then a good writing book energizes my writing again. This one is written in such an intriguing way.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Sandra. Yes, I find them in some ways as helpful as writing conferences. Every so often I need something to jar my writing ideas anew and rev up my writing energy.

Unknown said...

So interesting - I bet this is an enlightening and inspiring read. Thanks for letting us know about it. I need some neighbors like yours!

Mirka Breen said...

I don't often read how-to books, but a few I have on writing that I cherish most are worn from being revisited. Thank you for sharing these.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

It is inspiring, Lexa. Among other things, you get a glimpse of the struggles they went through. Writing wasn't all that easy for them, either!

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I have a few books on writing like that, Mirka—ones I return to again and again. I wonder if the writers who wrote them realize what a boon they are.

The Cynical Sailor said...

What a lovely gift! I'll have to put this one on my reading list.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Ellen (& Scott); yes, it turned out to be a wonderful gift. I'm really enjoying it. Hopefully it will get the wheels turning for my next book.

Erika Beebe said...

The book sounds really great and I love the font on the cover! Thank you.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Erika, thanks for stopping by. I hope you check it out. It's really thought provoking and motivating.

Tonja Drecker said...

What a nice treat! Books that can be grabbed up for short spurts are perfect for more busy time. Enjoy!

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I agree, T. It's hard these days for me to find time to just sit and read at long stretches, so I'm enjoying doing this one in bits and pieces. And learning a lot!

Julia Thorley said...

Thanks for the book recommendation.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

You're very welcome, Julia. Have a great day.

Sharon Himsl said...

I have never heard of this book but it does sound good. You read like I do, short snippets at a time and bedtime. Finding time to read large chunks is hard.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Sharon, Some books I actually read straight through, but those are mostly fiction. Nonfiction always takes me longer, partly because each section gives so much food for thought. How To Write Like Tolstoy is especially "pithy". It's not a quick read, but it's an interesting read. And I agree, finding time to read large chunks is hard. My life seems to be busier than ever. Have a good day.