Sunday, July 23, 2017

Celebrating Being Home


I seem to have fallen by the wayside when it comes to blogging in recent months. Preparing for travels, a family reunion in May, our trip to Spain and Portugal, and trying to put finishing touches on notes for recent books, all distracted me from both blogs. We got home last Sunday, and I've been busy ever since then, catching up. But I do have things to celebrate this week:

First, Celebrate the Small Things  is a blog hop co-hosted by Lexa Cain at: Lexa Cain,  L.G. Keltner @ Writing Off The Edge , and Tonja Drecker @ Tidbits Blog(You can go to any of these sites to add your name to the links, if you want to participate. )

Now to the celebrations:

1. As some of you know, I discovered last year that I have glaucoma. It was really severe, too, when the opthamologist discovered it. I've had surgery in the eye most severely affected, and I've been taking drops in both eyes to bring the pressure down. I am diligent in taking my drops. Still, having been away for 10 weeks, I was nervous about what my eye exam would show Monday, the day after arrival. GOOD NEWS: The pressure came down some more in both eyes. I am so happy about that.

2. I have two contracts, one for my picture book, Dragonella, which should come out later this year, and one for my story collection The Carnival of the Animals, which should come out in the later part of next year. As you can imagine, I feel like turning somersaults of joy.


3. A delicious new book I ordered came in my absence: Sherlock Holmes Before Baker Street. As many of you know, I am a great Sherlock Holmes fan. (My book, Imogene and the Case of the Missing Pearls, includes him among the characters.) But I've come in contact with some wonderful pastiche writers far more knowledgeable than I in the Sherlock Holmes canon, and they are among the writers in this story collection. I can hardly wait to get started. As I read the stories, I'll start posting reviews of them here, so stay tuned.  

I'm also caught up on a lot of things, now, so I expect to be blogging more faithfully, both here and on my Fourth Wish blog next door. 


How about you? Have things distracted you from blogging? Have you had good health news lately? Are you submitting your writing projects? Do you have any good summer reads to recommend?




12 comments:

  1. Good to hear that about the lower pressure in your eyes, wish you speedy recovery, and those are great things to celebrate indeed. Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Blogoratti. Best wishes to you, too. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. The treatment for glaucoma has improved greatly over the years. So glad you're getting effective care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee.I feel especially blessed, because, as a writer and painter I need my eyes. I'm so relieved the can do something.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear all your good news. Yes, lots of reasons to celebrate. I was distracted from blogging the last couple weeks while traveling to Colorado with my grandchildren. Fun distraction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you have a lot of good news to celebrate, too, Rosi. So looking forward to reading your story and hearing about your trip and the conference.

      Delete
  4. So glad to hear that your eyes are doing better! Congratulations on all the writing goodness too. It was definitely a week full of amazing celebrations for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the good wishes, T. Yes I'm really happy about all these things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome. Plenty of good news there. I'm happy to hear it all. Brightens my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, DA. When I hear others' good news, it brightens my day, too. Hope all is going well for you.

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear about your glaucoma. My eyes are getting bad, too which is especially not good for me since I'm an artist.
    Great news about your books! Congratulations!
    I should get back into Sherlock Holmes. I like those stories.
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Kimberly, thanks for stopping by. If your eyes are "getting bad", I hope you will have your eye pressure checked, as glaucoma's a sneaky disease with no real symptoms, except maybe "getting bad". Fingers crossed. As an artist, that's seriously the one thing you don't want to get out of hand. You have a good week-end, too.

    ReplyDelete