Sunday, January 22, 2017

Celebrating That I'm Walking More

One of my resolutions at the turn of the year was to walk more for general health. Well, I started keeping that resolution three days ago. (Yeah, it took me that long to work up to it.)
But first: Celebrate the Small Things  is a blog hop co-hosted by Lexa Cain at: Lexa Cain,  L.G. Keltner @ Writing Off The Edge , and Tonja Drecker @ Tidbits Blog. (You can go to any of these sites to add your name to the links, if you want to participate. I recommend it, because it's always fun to see news that others are celebrating, and to share your own as well. )         

So—walking more: 

1. On Friday, I walked 18 blocks to the central branch of the public library, spent some time looking up book publishers, and then walked the 18 blocks home again. That basically translated into walking altogether about three miles. (It also combined my writing resolution with my walking resolution, which made me feel double good.) This week I'll be investigate all the publishers online to see if they are still current and analyze their requirements if they are. I got these from the 2016 Writers Market, because the 2017 was checked out. But the good news is that the nice young man at the reference desk arranged to have it sent to my neighborhood branch 7 blocks away when it comes in, so I can check even further. Meanwhile, it was so pleasurable to be in a library again, I plan to hang out there more this year.

2. Yesterday, my husband and I walked 18 blocks to the Women's March that began at T and 6th streets and ended up at the State Capitol plaza for a rally. It was truly inspiring, and I'll be blogging about it more this week at my Fourth Wish blog "next door", along with posting pictures. But here are a could I put on my Facebook:


That's my husband next to me in the first picture. The sign wasn't mine—we didn't have time to make signs—but the man who took the picture let me hold his. I was especially glad, because that sign resonated with me as a former teacher.  



Today, I only walked two miles. A mile took me to my favorite bookstore here in Sacramento, Time Tested Books. (It's where I had one of my book signings a year and a half ago for Imogene and the Case of the Missing Pearls.) I stopped by the store and had a good browse, and naturally the owner is saving a book for me to come back and buy this week. (I purposely walk without my purse. It's nice to be un-encumbered.) When I left to come back, I walked a mile in a heavy rain! I had to change clothes when I got home, but it was a wonderful and refreshing walk. 

So I plan to do more of this: Two miles a day, and hopefully, three miles many days.

How about you? Are you a walker? A jogger? Do you attend marches? Do you have a favorite bookstore where you hang out? Do you hang out at your local library? Did you make any resolutions this New Years Day? 

14 comments:

The Cynical Sailor said...

Good for you on making your walking happen. I'm definitely no jogger :-) I do enjoy walking though and try to make time for it.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

What I've noticed is that I feel so much more energetic (rather than tired afterward, say.) Yes, making time for it is the issue for me. But I've decided that it's worth taking time to walk. The benefits out-weigh whatever other "tasks" get pushed to the side. Have a great day, and thanks for stopping by.

cleemckenzie said...

Walking is one of the best exercises and the way to really clear your head. Keep up the good program!

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Lee, yes it's interesting how much more creatively my mind starts working as I walk. Thanks for the encouragement! I need to stick with this program. :-)

Unknown said...

You're fabulous! Yay for the new walking program and especially for going to the woman's march. The sign you borrowed is indeed a great one. You're a real inspiration! Have a wonderful weekend!

Unknown said...

Go you to all that walking. In the winter I generally avoid outdoor anything. LOL

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, D. K. (don't know what your first name is. I'd feel a little weird saying, "Hi, Decadent. LOL) Thanks for stopping by.

Up until now, in winter I've been very lax about going outside. What has surprised me is how refreshed I feel after the first minute or two. I come back from my walk feeling great! Have a nice week-end.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Lexa, thanks for the support. It was a wonderful march, I have to say. Connecting with others is great, whether in person or online, and just being so surrounded with that energy was a great boost. Hope all is going well with you and that you have a wonderful week-end.

Tamara Narayan said...

I like both walking and jogging, but walks in the woods are my favorite. Our local library is quite close, but I don't use it so much. I tend to find plenty of books for my Kindle through BookBub and fellow writers. I should go more though.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Tamara. Ah, I do wish a woods were closer. They are so peaceful and refreshing. I've never been able to work up to jogging, and now I have some arthritis in my joints, so I don't dare. I do love to walk, though. Like you, I get a lot of books on Kindle, but there's something about a real book in my hands that I love. In addition to the central library and a closer branch, I'm also close to a used book store — my downfall. (My basement is starting to look like a used book store. :-)

Kate Larkindale said...

I don't drive, so I tend to walk a lot, just to get around. Although I definitely don't walk as much as I used to, now I have an office job.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Kate, it's really good that you don't drive, if it makes you have to walk places. That's the most painless way to get exercise. I started determining what is near enough to walk to instead of drive, and most of those places are the mile each way that I want: the post office, Safeway, Rite Aid, the bank, book stores, library, park, art galleries. Having a destination makes it easier for me to just "do it". Do you walk to your office job?

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I really enjoy walking. I need to do it more. And the library is a great place to hang out. I should go there more often too.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Elizabeth. Thanks for stopping by. Yes, libraries are special places. It just feels good to be in one. Have a nice day.