Sunday, April 30, 2017

Our Favorite Get-Away Spot in California


I'm two days late for my "celebrate the small things" post, but I'm celebrating a trip we took last week to Pacific Grove/Monterey area. This is probably our favorite get-away spot in California, and this year was no exception. It's so peaceful and relaxing: the roar of the surf, the beauty of the waters along the waterfront. The weather was warm and the skies blue and sunny. Families were out along the strips of beach fronting waves and rocks. 


We usually zip over to Carmel to browse the art galleries, too, but this time we didn't. We simply enjoyed walking around in both Pacific Grove and Monterey. Along the waterfront, we encountered several painters out doing "plein air" paintings of rock and water. 

The motel where we stayed was right near the Monarch Habitat that I wrote about once before, but on this trip, so late in spring, the butterflies were gone until their next migration. In Monterey, we went to the current "Cannery Row," an out and out tourist trap not as charming as it once was, but there is a nice monument to the novelist John Steinbeck and many characters from his books. A couple of blocks in town, we came across the house and lab of Ed Ricketts, John Steinbeck's marine biologist friend cast as "Doc" in the book, Cannery Row. 



We were in the area two nights and then came home, totally refreshed, in time for the Science March the following day, which was inspiring and refreshing in another way. 

Do you have a favorite "get-away" spot? Is it tied to art? Literature? Nature?

                                            Celebrate the Small Things  is a blog hop co-hosted by Lexa Cain at: Lexa Cain,  L.G. Keltner @ Writing Off The Edge , and Tonja Drecker @ Tidbits Blog. (You can go to any of these sites to add your name to the list, and also to read some enjoyable blog posts.)

12 comments:

cleemckenzie said...

We should meet one of these days. I'm in that area a lot and we could take a walk on the beach and talk books.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

That would be great! The next time we go, I'll let you know. Have a great day.

Rosi said...

Pacific Grove is probably my favorite place on the planet. I haven't been for quite a while. I think I need to make a trip. Thanks for the post.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Mine, too, Rosi! And Rajan's, too. It's not as touristy as Carmel. We love the art galleries in Carmel, but Pacific Grove has a magic all its own. Have a great day.

Suzanne Furness said...

That sounds like a lovely trip. I was lucky enough to visit this area with my husband but that was over twenty years ago! Goodness me where did that time go! Glad you returned refreshed, sometimes just taking a few days is ideal.
Following on from your comment over on my blog, the nesting birds are house martins.

Unknown said...

It looks absolutely wonderful. You've made me wish I could go there! Have a great week!

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Suzanne, I sure know what you mean when you say "where did that time go!" Lately I seem to be having that question more and more. Glad you did get to see this area with your husband. It's a place that lingers.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Lexa, there are so many beautiful places to see. And you are in one of them. Egypt always conjures up the ancient Egypt of the Pharaohs. There must be history at every turn where you live.

PlanetKimberly said...

This place sounds great! I wish it were closer to us. Maybe we'll make the drive one day from southern California. It would've been nice to go there this weekend for our wedding anniversary. It's going to rain anyway. :o(

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I hope you do get up to the Pacific Grove/Monterey/Carmel areal, Kimberly. It's really such a peaceful scene, from both the nature standpoint and the art standpoint.

Tamara Narayan said...

I love walking while surrounded by nature, whether it be in the woods or by a lake or ocean. We'll be taking a trip to Kiawah Island soon. It's off the coast of SC just a bit south of Charleston. We're looking forward to building sand castles, swimming in the waves and the pool, and bike-riding all over the island.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

That sounds lovely, Tamara. I've never been to any of the islands off the coast of SC & Georgia, but I hear they are beautiful. Enjoy your vacation there. It sounds like you have nice things planned.