Thursday, March 29, 2018

Entering Contests — At Last

                                                                        

These pictures may look familiar to you. This is how my desk usually looks when I        
 haven't tidied it up, and I seldom think to take a picture of it looking neat. This is how it looks again, because I've been insanely busy, and a mess doesn't seem to call for new photos.

Between this week and last, I have submitted 2 stories, 3 flash fictions, and 12 poems to contests. Yup. I'm celebrating that. And this is why I did it: I'm staring work on part two of an old book that bogged down when I got stuck. It's an MG novel, and you know how long a novel can take! Now I'm on fire with this WIP again, but I have learned from experience: 

When I work on a novel, everything else just sits in the filing cabinet: stories, flash fictions, poems. And they nag at me. Besides, my copy of Poets & Writers was giving me the accusing stare. I'm always interested in thumbing through the magazine's links for general submission deadlines — that I often don't do anything about — but this issue (March/April) is chock full of contests with  deadlines in March, April, and May. 

 So. I decided, get those little rascals out of the cabinet and into the cybersphere so they aren't hanging over my head, interfering with the present novel I want to work on in peace. It was a matter of clearing the slate. It isn't too late to get your own copy of Poets & Writers, even go to your local library, and check out deadlines you can still make. There's quite a few in April & May.

Now I can even clean house (way overdue, since I was doing research for the novel.) Yup, it's clearing out time in general.

How about you? Have you taken on any "clean sweep" type projects? Have you taken the plunge to submit to contests? What are you celebrating this week?

Celebrate the Small Things  is a blog hop co-hosted by Lexa Cain at: Lexa Cain,  L.G. Keltner @ Writing Off The Edge , and Tonja Drecker @ Tidbits Blog(You can go to any of these sites to add your name to the links, if you want to participate.)

16 comments:

writing and living by Richard P Hughes said...

My desk is a mess. Once in a while I clean it up, but it's messy again in no time.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Richard. I think gremlins come in the night and mess it all up again. About twice a year my desk looks neat and orderly — for about 3 days. :-)

Rosi said...

I am trying to enter contests regularly, but I don't always get around to it. I think I am going to set an hour a week on my calendar for just doing that and see if it helps. Glad you are back to work on that novel.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Rosi, The commitment really does push you on. Once I decided, I just couldn't stop until I followed through. An hour a week regularly sounds good, so do start entering. I added up what all these contests cost me, and if I even only win one honorable mention that pays more than $25, it will more than cover the total amount I paid in fees.

Pauline said...

Currently working on a history of our local Historical Society and poems to submit to the monthly meeting of my poetry critique group. Other than that, no contests, no deadlines. I write now mostly for the pure pleasure of it. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a delicious comment!

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Pauline. Working on a history of your local Historical Society sounds really interesting. I love history. I envy you your poetry group. I belong to two good writing groups for fiction, and we occasionally exchange poems as well, but I'd love to find a poetry group.

Mirka Breen said...

Contests have not been my friends until now. But my desk is neat... :D

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Mirka, Your comment put a smile on my face! I have to confess, contests haven't particularly been my friends, either. I've gotten a few "honorable mentions", but oh, how I'd love to win a first or second prize and actually get paid for my entry! :-)

Sandra Cox said...

Woo Hoo! 2 stories, 3 flash fictions, and 12 poem submissions! You are smokin'!
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It's much appreciated:)

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Sandra, thanks for stopping by. I do seem to be on a roll. Let's hope it bears fruit. :-) Have a great day.

Julia Thorley said...

I enjoy the discipline of competition deadlines, because they give me the kick up the backside I need to get something finished. I hope your efforts are rewarded with plenty of prizes.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Oh, Julia, thanks for the support! It was seeing all those deadlines that got me riffling through my filing cabinet and doing some editing and then entering. I seem to need deadlines to get going. I'll be happy with even one prize. If I get one, you can bet I'll put it in a frame! :-)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Congrats on taking the step to submit your work. It definitely is something to celebrate.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

SO late visiting again. I can't believe how many things fell through the cracks this past week, including me missing my best friend's birthday.

I don't write fiction, poems, or anything like that, but I make art, which also has a deadline, especially if I am in a swap. I always like to be early with things, and try not to leave projects till the last minute. But I also have to start each day with a clean work table, because clutter and I do NOT get along.

From the sound of things, you have been on FIRE! So glad to read how much you have accomplished and that you can now return to that novel you are working on.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Thanks, Lynda. The first one was the one I dawdled over. Once I did that one, I practically went into a frenzy. :-)

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

B&E: How I yearn for a tidy desk! About twice a year i have one. I envy you your uncluttered table! Meanwhile, I love your art work and all your interesting projects. .