Monday, March 21, 2022

Spring, Chopin, Ukraine, and Queen Victoria


      
























Yesterday was the first day of spring, and I was motivated to finally snap photos of one of the succulent plants on our enclosed balcony, because it has burst into wonderous bloom. 

On another note, I have always been a lover of Chopin's music, although I can't really name compositions by number or by type (whether etude, nocturn, or whatever else). But when I hear Chopin played, I almost go into a dream state. His music always affects me that way.

So what has Chopin to do with Queen Victoria? Or a flowering plant? 

Chopin lived in France in his later years, and he is known as a "romantic" composer, not a Victorian composer. And the year Victoria came to the throne — 1837 — was the year he ran off with his lover, Amantine Lucile Aurore Dupinhe, best known as George Sand. The relationship lasted a mere two years. (There were women before and after Ms. Sand, but not as famous.) And poor Chopin, who always had bad health, died in 1849, 10 years after they parted.  

Of course, Victoria had nothing to do with the start of their famous relationship. 1837 was mere coincidence. But he did meet the queen in 1848, the year of the French Revolution, when he went to London. He played for Queen Victoria and Prince Albert at Stafford House, and apparently the couple came up to him afterward and spoke to him, which was a rare occurence for them. 

What started me thinking about Chopin and the when and whereabouts of his latter days? A simple video I saw on a Facebook friend's post. I have been watching and reading news about Ukraine daily, both in English, and in Portuguese (Google Translate at hand), to the point of obsession. Portugal has taken in more than 10,000 refugees from Ukraine, according to the count three days ago. Quite a large number have come to Braga, and an organization here that was sending supplies to Ukraine is now dispersing them to the refugees in the city. My heart breaks daily for that land, once full of beautiful cities now being reduced to rubble. I so admire the bravery of those who are fighting for their lives and for their land.

For me this video — the one that started me thinking about Chopin and his place in a historical timeline — captures what it means for the life you love to be bombarded daily — a pianist playing Chopin amidst the wreckage of her home. I hope you will take the time to watch and listen. It's short.

You can listen to her beautiful playing HERE.

Meanwhile, here is a picture I took of one area of the gardens along Avenida da Liberdad: A single pink tulip rising out of a bed of white cabbage. In troubled time, scenes of beauty can remind one to hope. May this little flower do the same for you. 





8 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love how you tied these disparate subjects together. That single tulip rising above the white cabbage seems symbolic of Ukraine and their ever stanch fight for their freedom, their land, and now their lives.

Anvilcloud said...

interesting associations. That’s the way our minds work. You never know when something will trigger something else.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Elizabeth (and Bleubeard), yes, that was the tulip made me think of: It looks fragile among the cabbages, but there it stands, offering its resilience.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Anvilcloud, thanks for stopping by and commenting. I suppose it's another case of "juxtaposition of history." Lately I keep wondering "what else was going on in Victorian times besides the London of Sherlock Holmes?" So much was going on everywhere simultaneously!

Mirka Breen said...

Spring is definetly not in Ukraine, and it is sad to once again witness the aggressiveness of our species. But like the song Old man River, nature does its thing, regardless.
I, too, enjoy Chopin, well played.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Mirka. Yes, nature endures no matter. At least it has up to this point. Our fragile planet is taking a new beating. I sometimes wonder, everyone talks about fuel damaging the atmosphere, but think of what war does to the planet!

Jeanie said...

Like you, I obsess on the Ukrainian situation. Your post was so very moving. I love it when associating freely leads to something so productive and interesting to read. The Victorian period was so long, so much happened. Industrial revolution, cholera outbreak, start of the police force as such, and of course, wars. But oh, that period brought us so much to love worldwide in terms of culture.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Jeanie. I agree with all your points. I'm reading an interestign little book a friend got me because I sometimes write Holmes-related fiction. The book is probably out of print, now; she got it at a used book store. But it's full of so much information about Victorian London, and I was really impressed with how much Victoria and Albert accomplished that was beneficial for the city and for the country.