Wednesday, July 15, 2015

A Reading and Book Signing at Swan's Fine Books in Walnut Creek



Last Sunday I had the pleasure of reading an excerpt from my book, Imogene and the Case of the Missing Pearls, at a wonderful bookstore in Walnut Creek. Swan's Fine Books, owned by Laurelle Swan, is located in a small shopping center at 1381 Locust Street, Walnut Creek. You can learn more about this fabulous bookstore at her website HERE. Let me just say "fine" is an accurate word to describe this shop. There is a treasure trove of rare and fine books, early editions, signed editions. Many are expensive, as you would guess, but many are also quite affordable for those on a more limited budget.

Laurelle, introducing me.





First, Laurelle introduced me. And then I talked about the background to my book, and then read the excerpt mentioned in the picture above.

Dear family friends.






One of the great pleasures of bookstore signings is the opportunity to get together with a lot of book-loving friends.

Another pleasure is the opportunity to browse books before and after. So I was in book heaven in more ways than one.

Great audience.
Dear writing friend on left; a mother
 and daughter on the right who saw Laurelle's flyer. 
Good friends and good listeners!
College chum and fellow
book lover. 

 And of course, it's always fun to sign those books!

Book club friend.

Dear family friend.
On right, a SBCWI friend

More dear family friends.
Socializing afterward.
We started at three, and by the time the talk, the reading, the signing were over and we did a little socializing, it was time to go. Afterwards my god family had dinner plans for Rajan and me, so off we went for a very enjoyable evening. This was truly an afternoon to remember. Many thanks to all who came. 

And many thanks to Laurelle Swan for this opportunity. If you are in the area, do stop by her store for a treat you won't forget. Both Rajan and I bought books there. (I can never leave a bookstore empty-handed.) So did some of our friends. 

Meanwhile, how about you? Do bookstores have a hold on you? Can you pass hours and hours browsing books? Like me, are you unable to leave a store empty handed? 


12 comments:

writing and living by Richard P Hughes said...

Looks like a beautiful bookshop. A lot of people showed up, too. Congratulations.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Thanks, Richard. I was please with the turnout. And nearly everyone fell in love with the bookstore.

Geo. said...

Admittedly, I too have trouble leaving a bookstore without a purchase --even if only with a little volume of NYT Crosswords. There is a calm about bookstores that take one out of the clamor of a busy world into something more orderly.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Geo., I agree. A bookstore simply takes you to another world completely.

Rosi said...

Another lovely signing for you. That's great. I'm happy it's going so well.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Thanks, Rosi. I am too. It's also more fun than I thought it would be.

Sandra Cox said...

You find the neatest bookstores!

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Thanks, Sanda. I just looked up bookstores near friends and family, and this is one that popped up. I felt so lucky. The owner is a lovely person, and the setting was so cool!

Blogoratti said...

Looks like a fine event, congrats and best wishes!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely bookstore! Congrats on your book signing success! Sounds like you had a wonderful experience. And no, I can never leave a bookstore empty-handed either.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Thanks, Blogeratti. I really enjoyed it.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Lori, thanks for stopping by. Yes, it was a wonderful experience. And I so like that store. I know I'll be back. :-)