Friday, July 13, 2018

A New Way to Enjoy Sherlock Holmes


It isn’t mandatory for a book about Sherlock to be a new mystery starring Sherlock. In this clever new series, Gemma Doyle, manager of the Sherlock Holmes Bookshop and Emporium, uses Sherlockian logic to figure out a crime scene she reluctantly stumbles into.

In Elementary, She read, by Vicki Delany, Gemma has come to West London in Cape Cod for a fresh start after her divorce. She manages the Sherlock Holmes Bookshop and Emporium for her great uncle, Arthur Doyle, a Sherlock Holmes aficionado (and maybe even a distant, distant relative of the famous author). Uncle Arthur bought the building for its address: 222 Baker Street. Next door (220 Baker Street) Jayne Wilson, who co-owns Mrs. Hudson’s Tea Room, has become Gemma’s best friend and confidant. The two shops are connected, benefiting both businesses. 

The story kick-off: While tidying up after twenty-four women on a bridge group holiday swept in, shopped, and left, Gemma comes across a bag wedged between some books. Inside the bag is what appears to be an original edition of a magazine containing Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s first story. If not fake, it could be worth a fortune. Gemma finds a postcard in the bag with the name of the hotel where the magazine’s owner must be staying. After stashing the magazine in her great uncle’s safe at home, she and Jayne set out for the hotel to ask a few questions before returning the magazine. They find a dead body, and the game is afoot.

The characters are deftly drawn: Gemma isn’t the Sherlock Holmes fan both her great uncle and Jayne are, but her mind works, ironically, like the Great Detective’s. She can take every little detail and arrive at accurate conclusions in a way that disconcerts local police and even wrecked a fine romance. Jayne is her Doctor Watson, sensible, anchored, and yet secretly thrilling to the adventure Gemma drags her into. Other quirky characters move the plot along: great uncle Arthur who, despite being in his 90s, has wanderlust and is on a trip in this story. The author’s brushstrokes are just enough to make him vivid by his absence. (This reader hopes he pops up again in a future book.) Then there is Ruby, the grumpy clerk at the shop cash register; Irene Talbot, the journalist hungry for a story; two book collectors (one hunky, one boring), who take an interest in the magazine; Detective Louise Estrada, out to pin a murder rap on Gemma; a dysfunctional family of would-be heirs . . . and many minor characters breeze through the pages with life and humor. Gemma, as a matter of fact, has some very funny lines throughout. 

This is a mystery that is both satisfying in the puzzle sense and disarming to a reader who likes cozy mysteries with endearing sleuths.


Vicki Delany obviously loves writing mysteries and has several series out, as well as stand-alones. You can learn more about her at her website HERE











How about you? Are you excited to find a new series? If so, is it the location or the characters that grab you and make you want to read more?   Do you prefer stand alone novels  or series?

10 comments:

Rosi said...

This sounds like a perfect book. I will put it on my ever-growing TBR list.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Rosi, if you are in the mood for something light, this is a fun read. Thanks for stopping by.

Sandra Cox said...

Sounds like a fun read:)

Kate Larkindale said...

Sounds like a fun read! And to answer your question, I prefer stand-alone books. I can't stand waiting for the next installment of a series to come out. I tend to wait until the series is complete before I even start reading series.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

It's a great beach read or airport read. Something that can really be enjoyed on a trip.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Kate, I know what you mean. I haven't planned my reading that way, but often I discover a series when it's in full swing, and so I can go looking for others in the series. In this case, luckily, the next one has come out. I do hope she is writing a third.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love a good cozy, and this sounds like one. I'm going to try to find it at my library.

I like both books in a series and not in a series. My favorite series is the Sue Grafton Alphabet series. I was saddened to read she had died before she could write the final one.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I do, too, Elizabeth. As long as it's a good mystery, I'm hooked. Although, I have to confess, when I find out a mystery I liked is part of a series, that always makes me happy. More time to spend with fun characters.

Mirka Breen said...

What a joyous ride it must have been to write. Perfect for fans of the master detective, the father of them all.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Mirka. Yes, I could tell the author had a lot of fun writing this book. I can picture her sitting at her computer, cocking her head, then smiling as a line comes to her.