Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Look Into My Eyes — No, Don't!

                                  

Since my present WIP involves a character who was once in vaudeville, I’ve been doing a lot of research. I’ve read nonfiction histories of vaudeville and, more  recently, fictional 
works with characters in Vaudeville. Thus, I stumbled across this little gem of an MG novel about a family whose stage act takes a surprising turn: The Mind Reader, by Jan Slepian.              

The Amazing Leonders have a mind reading act – one with codes and gimmicks all worked out as cues to give Leo Leonder, the father and mind reader of the act, all the information he needs to give a reading. He has a problem with alcohol, although he’s never too drunk to perform. Clara, the mother, dressed in scarves and glitter, posing as Princess Shalimar, is the one who goes into the audience and elicits the information. On the particular night that kicks off the story, Connie’s father has passed out cold and can’t be revived enough to go on. 

The tale is told by ten-year-old Annie Ellinger, whose parents have a song-and-dance act in the same show. She hangs out with Connie (short for Conrad) and realizes he knows the whole mind-reading act forwards and backwards. She suggests that Connie take Mr. Leonder’s place. Hurriedly, Connie is hustled into the turban and robe and make-up that create the Amazing Leonder. Unlike his father, if Connie looks into the eyes of someone, he really can read that person’s mind. For this reason, he has always avoided people’s gazes. Annie has found that sweet. In fact she has a crush on him. 

In his fill-in-for-his-father performance, Connie makes the mistake of meeting the gaze of an audience member who is up to no good and yells, “No! Don’t do it!” The man runs out of the theater. The audience erupts in excitement. This is the kind of “show” they love, as does the theater manager. Connie becomes the new and even more popular “Amazing Leonder”. The family is making good money. But Connie is miserable because of what he sees in people’s hearts. The decision he takes next brings several surprises that lead to a dramatic (and heartwarming) conclusion. 

The characters in this book are endearingly quirky. The details about vaudeville life and performers ring true. Setting details for the acts and stage layouts are well-rendered. The book came out in the late ‘90s, but the writing is lively, fresh, and original. The author did a masterful job recreating the world these characters inhabit. I heartily recommend this book which achieves what the best vaudeville achieves: It entertains and leaves you wondering.


Do you like mind reading acts? Do you believe in mind reading?

12 comments:

Sandra Cox said...

Ooh, this sounds exciting.

Anvilcloud said...

To answer your question, at least the last one, No. But it’s fun to contemplate and read about.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I like the way you reviewed this novel, Elizabeth. It sounds like a fun read.

To answer your questions, I see mind reading acts for what they are. I'm a scientist, so mind reading is lots of voodoo in my opinion.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Sandra, the word I keep coming up with is "endearing". This was an endearing book in so many ways. You really felt for Connie as he struggled with his disillusion caused by what he saw in people's hearts. But the real star of the book for me was the narrator, Annie. She was one of the most endearing fictional characters I've encountered in a long time.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Anvilcloud, that's pretty much my take on it, too. It is fun to think about—although, after reading this book, I don't think I would want the gift.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Elizabeth. I would tend to agree; especially after reading how this act was set up in the book. Of course the fact that Connie has the gift make s the story. But the author did a good job of explaining the theatrics of these acts: coded words, gestures, etc. Pretty slick.

Tonja Drecker said...

Sounds like an interesting read, and I haven't found many books with that topic, especially not in that age group.
As to mind reading...I'm impressed when people have a talent for reading such clues. A bit like Sherlock Holmes :)

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Tonja, that is a very good way to put it. The folks who do these acts have sharp observation skills and their clues that they feed to the mind reader are created around how those skills can be useful. A bit like Sherlock Holmes, indeed! Thanks for stopping by.

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

This sounds like a great novel. Thanks for a great review. As for mind reading, I never thought about it, but I don't think it's possible. What do I know?

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I don't know if it's possible or not. Some people are thought to have "ESP" where they just "know" things, but I'm not sure if that would be considered the same thing or just very good intuition. Quite honestly, I wouldn't want to have my mind read, and I wouldn't want to be able to read minds, either. There would never be a moment of just "quietude".

DMS said...

Sounds like you are getting to read some great books during your research. This sounds fascinating. I wouldn't want to have my mind read either! :)
~Jess

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, DMS, yes, that really is the fun part of research:; you come across great reads. And Jan Slepian was a wonderful writer for making the era come alive.